Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Meaning

I don't really know how to define "meaningfulness". It's certainly more than money or fame ... Hollywood people have both yet they yearn for something more -- witness all their posturing for various causes.

Legacy? Immortality? Perhaps more likely. We humans tend to go to great lengths to allow our name to live on.

A nod towards altruism? More of a stretch ... I'm convinced we're more selfish than altruistic.

Pride? I'm cynical enough to believe that's a pretty big part of it.

* * *
Significance? I'm at a loss here ... would that be a result of meaningfulness, or the other way around?

* * *
I was reminded of this today as I taught a class to a group of largely disinterested people. I honestly wondered why I should bother. And I honestly wondered if I really knew much, or if I was just posing as one who did. I was lacking any sense of meaningfulness or significance.

No comments: