Saturday, March 17, 2007

Absolutely True

And of course one may argue with the premise ... but if the discussion revolves around the validity of the premise rather than a mere refutation of the conclusion ... well, then it's a more interesting discussion.

Exactly. That's the problem I have with philosophical logic. There is nothing inherently "logical" about a fear response to danger, unless you define the axiom in the way that you did "If danger then fear, and if danger is the case then fear is the case". But that only applies to organisms that feel fear. It's a logical statement for organisms that feel fear, but an illogical statement for organsims that do not/cannot feel fear.

Logical does not necessarily equate to pure efficiency, does it?

I don't believe so.

1 + 1 = 2 is an axiom that applies to both organisms that feel and do not feel fear.

The speed of light in vacuo is a constant c and this applies to both Christians and Muslims. The Theory of Special Relativity is built upon this observation of constancy of c in vacuo.

What are the better premesis to build a logical house of cards upon? I would suggest those that apply in the majority of cases.

+++

Or "scientists" who cherry pick their data to support their agenda? Or global warming activists who fly a private jet to some function? Or a chess grandmaster who argues that a game is a draw when a third option -- me shooting him through the forehead -- is available?

The first example is being consistent to their internal set of values, the second is hypocritical, not necessarily illogical and the third, even if you kill the GM, by the rules of chess, the game is either won or drawn.

+++

There is no point arguing with someone who believes that The Bible is a priori non-falsifiable. You will always get to this .. fill in the blanks as you see fit.

(a) At first, this is difficult to understand, ....... (b) the contradiction exists in our understanding, not in the Bible, (c) the solution is simple; all you need to do is accept what the Bible says.

(a) is a patronzing ... "You are right and smart to be confused, but alas not smart enough ..
(b) You have failed to understand, but I'll say "our" not "your" understanding to make it look less harsh
(c) A little bit more patronizing (You mean you didn't get this simple solution??) Also don't be a doubting Thomas, be warned! You may be punished

These people can be as inconsistent, illogical and irrational as they wish. I believe that most of these people are not evil (>99%). I believe they do so out of love (of the Godhead) - and they don't really believe that love is subject to the logical. They may be correct, they may be misguided, life is short so be happy. (This goes to my previous post of "what if life wasn't short"? Then I might have to take up more of an issue with such folks). Unfortunately I think there have been a few throughout history using Religion for control purposes, it's a crying shame.

As you once reminded me, it depends on whether you really seek the truth or seek shelter, it would be good if we could find both together. Lennon said it:

Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
Ive had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope

Im sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mamas little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

Ive had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Its money for dope
Money for rope

Ah, Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now

Ive had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now

All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No comments: