Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mission to Mars?

There's been some talk here in the States about the role and mission of NASA. Some feel the agency needs a new mission ... a bold one ... a manned trip to Mars.

I completely disagree. I don't believe the public really cares all that much for such a mission. Nobody really believes we'll establish a "colony" there, any more than we've been successful establishing a viable orbiting space station. Going there would just be an exercise in saying we did it, but little more.

Second, I think most people view the trials and troubles of this earth and think, "We don't need to spend the time and money on that. We have more important things to worry about already."

Finally, I think in the back of most people's minds is the notion of a spacecraft with astronauts in it being disabled far out in space with no chance for rescue. It's one thing for a shuttle to blow up -- that's a death everyone can grasp. But simply drifting off into nothingness would leave an odd and disturbing chill in people's minds. They sense that now, I think. Plus, the feeling of utter helplessness would leave quite a scar. All the more reason, I think, that a mission to Mars is just talk.

Unmanned probes and such? Cool ... the more the merrier.

Thoughts? Am I just way off base here?

No comments: