Friday, February 11, 2005

So what is the "proper" response?

"Don't worry about the things you don't understand; worry about the things you do understand." In other words, our sinful nature, Christ's atoning work, and our proper response to the forgiveness given us through Grace.

You can get into all interesting things here.

"Don't worry about the things you don't understand"

But that's what I do! In fact, that might be the definition of me!

"our sinful nature"

Are we to understand this? Here is my "proper" response "I'm a sinner, forgive me, I am really trying not to sin". Or is that the proper response? Should I be doing something other than repenting?

"Christ's atoning work"

Are we to understand this? Before the sacrificial "lamb of God" animals were sacrificed to appease God. Why do we need to sacrifice anything to an omnipotent being? Two wrongs don't make a right do they?

"proper response to the forgiveness given us through Grace"

Are we to understand this? How long is a piece of string? Some people pray for four hours a day ... two in the morning and two at night. Is this really what an omnipotent being wants from his creation? Open up your bank account God and we'll deposit some love for you?

I think the "proper" response is to laugh and have a good day, spread good cheer and not to be too high and mighty. Life has some very good times and some very bad times but mostly we're just getting along -- trying to get through it. Know that your creator is there and is a personal God, know that the plan is good (despite Tsunamis) and that one day it will all be clear. I guess it's called a positive outlook because there is no point to having a negative one. But that's my response, not the "proper" response. One man's meat is another man's gravy.

Yes I know what you mean about Job stirring up strong opinions/emotions. I'm not sure why that particular book has to be in the Bible, on the one hand it gives strength to us in times of adversity, teaches us the benefits of the positive outlook. On the other it casts suspicion on a God that would give an earthly life over to Satan -- for a bet. A bet which God (being omnipotent) knew the outcome of anyway.

Remember the $1 bet made in the old 80's Eddy Murphy and Dan Ackroyd movie "Trading Places"?

Current song: "In the club" -- 50 Cent

No comments: