Tuesday, February 15, 2005

A perfect vase?

We're getting somewhere with this ...

I maintain that God cannot be angry or sad with us because He knows (and has always known) what we are going to do anyway, and the things we do are part of His Perfect Plan. Now The Bible, as you quite rightly pointed out, says differently. So I am left with the following options:
  1. I am wrong -- quite possibly
  2. I am right and The Bible is innacurate -- quite possibly (IMHO)
  3. I am right and The Bible is accurately reporting mans interpretation of God's "emotion" -- also possible
  4. Something else -- most likely

Option 3 is interesting. And quite possibly resolves how a perfect God who knows all things can get seemingly emotional about things he already knows and that are part of His Perfect Plan. I think point 3 could be split down further:

  1. Man misinterpreted God and then wrote about it
  2. God wanted man to believe that He was angry, presumably this is for mans benefit
  3. Something else

This is my rational analysis of a being that gets angry about his own Perfect Plan: it's not possible.

So in my rational view God does not get angry about sin or Tsunamis -- how could He be perfectly sad about His own perfect plan?

Unless we want to accept that His Plan is not Perfect of course? Which is not acceptable to me.

A Christian Church elder once explained to me that the Universe was like a perfect vase that unfortunately got cracked (that crack being the entrance of sin). I can't see how that is Absolutely True, if the vase were perfect then how could it get cracked? Perfect vases are uncrackable by definition.

Maybe people did write about a happier Jesus (there were over 100 Gospels written after all). Why do I have this horrible suspicion that the power brokers behind the canon went for the stick rather than the carrot? Either Jesus didn't laugh much or they chose the best option they felt to gain power over the people, or God decided on the four Gospels -- or something else. Your mileage may vary.

This is a rational discourse, rationality and religion don't mix. One doesn't need to bother re-drawing Ptolemys circles to make The Bible fit, one only needs to believe.

Current song: "Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam" - The Vaselines

No comments: