Monday, February 07, 2005

Favorite Songs

I'm struggling to recall the melody of And Your Bird Can Sing. I can't go to iTunes to listen to it because none of the Beatles songs are out there, or anywhere else, near as I can figure. Musical question for you ... what is it about the song being played in "D rather than capo'd-to-E" that makes a difference? Does it affect the "mood" of the song, like minor keys suggest sadness?

I don't know that I have a "favorite song," but there are some I find I can listen to over and over again:
  • Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
  • Snowblind Friend - Steppenwolf
  • Graceland - Paul Simon
  • Hello Darlin' - Conway Twitty
  • Take My Hand, Precious Lord - Tennessee Ernie Ford
The last one is a bit of an oddity, isn't it? About two years ago I went ahead and purchased a 2-CD compilation of favorite hymns as sung by Tennessee Ernie Ford. For those not from the U.S., the name "Tennessee Ernie Ford" might not evoke recognition. Over here he's best known for a pop (for its time) ditty called "16 Tons." But in truth, the man had a beautiful bass voice, and that particular song has such a gorgeous tempo and melody. A man of deep faith, he lent his faith to the songs, and I just find them wonderful.

* * *
The "Christian Dating Service" thing has already been done. eHarmony.com is largely -- though not exclusively -- a Christian dating service. Pretty darn successful, too.

* * *
I have no other meaningful insights tonight ... I have completed one day of a technical workshop and they always leave me drained. It is going well, however, and for that I am grateful.

More tomorrow, I'm sure.

No comments: