Friday, February 25, 2005

Angels

If all religions are equally true, then it can be said that a religion that professed those religions to be false would also be true. That then renders the original religions simultaneously true and false at the same time.

It appears that real-world objects and phenomena (ie. those represented by a collapsed quantum mechanical wave function), that are in conflict with eachother (such as religious viewpoints) cannot be "equally true". Therefore the statement fails the test of "logical completeness" because all sentences in the statement are not provable. So in analysing this statement you need only to read as far as "If all religions are equally true..." ; at that point you can stop and go do something more interesting.

Interestingly, objects and phenomena represented by an uncollapsed QM wave function do indeed appear to possess this ability of being "equally true". This is known as superposition of states, it's how an electron manages to be a wavelike particle and go through both slits (in the two slit experiment). So if Allah and God could be made into QM sized phenomena (of planck scales) --thereby being subject to an uncollapsed wave function, then current thoery states that they could both be "equally true".

Thank you for your experiences of driving across the USA ! Wow. You have a beautiful country my friend and you clearly recognize that. I had to drive a meagre roundtrip of 200 miles today across an England living under a blanket of snow. The rolling hills were also a picture postcard -- like some frozen snow world from the Land of Narnia. It gave one a warm feeling of excitement.

I drove to a hospital to get my now (regular six monthly) checkup for cancer -- all is well, thank you Lord! I made a visit to the ward I stayed on in 2002 and saw there a Christian nurse Tracey -- and visited with some in-patients. Tracey looked after me when I was very ill and I sometimes wonder if she is a real Angel. I would say that 40% of her face is covered by a large birthmark and she must have been teased awfully as a child. Maybe this is why she is so "nice"?

Back in 2002 she made the potential mistake, but I'm very glad that she did, of getting emotionally attached to me and really caring -- so many cancer patients die -- the nurses soon learn not to get too attached to someone who they might be loading into a body bag before their shift is over. This is a survival mechanism for them I believe.

Tracey used to bring me cards with excerpts from The Bible, especially Romans, and these used to bring me hope. It was my age (under 40) and manner of illness (long term chronic pain) that (she said) made her take an interest in me, plus she thought that she was being directed to from above. God bless her and all of the Angels.

There was a little five year old kid there today called Maddock, bald due to the chemo but peddling around like a lunatic in a red and yellow plastic car. I spoke to his dad and you could see how happy he was at his childs joyfulness in the car, but at the same time terrified that he might soon be burying same child. I cannot think of anything worse -- we are so lucky. Generally people were in good spirits though.

Have you heard the song "Angels" by UK artist Robbie Williams? I think it's a true classic and the next generation will be singing it in karaoke bars for sure, just as we did with the song "My Way" from our fathers generation. It lacks cred now, but taps into the emotions that underpin part of the human condition -- the same emotions that are fully explored in Christianity also.

I sit and wait
Does an angel contemplate my fate?
And do they know the places where we go
When we're gray and old?
'Cos I've been told that salvation lets their wings unfold
So when I'm lying in my bed
Thoughts running through my head
And I feel that love is dead
I'm loving angels instead

And through it all she offers me protection
A lot of love and affection whether I'm right or wrong
And down the waterfall
Wherever it may take me
I know that life won't break me
When I come to call
She won't forsake me
I'm loving angels instead

When I'm feeling weak
And my pain walks down a one way street
I look above and I know I'll always be blessed with love
And as the feeling grows
She breathes flesh to my bones
And when love is dead
I'm loving angels instead

Current song: "Angels" -- Robbie Williams

No comments: