Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Pascal's Wager

You made a beautiful last post my friend :-) Stay that Christian and never become like the racist who goes by the name of "KingJehu" with whom I have just had the dubious pleasure of talking to on IRC. One should not be concerned if a Muslim is killed apparently. Grrrr. I know you will.

Yes, the times I have ignored my conscience have usually not worked out well and I have regretted them.

Changing tact:

Pascal's wager is posed to someone trying to choose between belief in the Christian God and belief in no god. It makes the following assumptions:
  • The probability of the existence of other gods who offer infinite happiness is zero
  • The probability of the existence of a Christian God is unknown
  • If the Christian God exists, then unbelievers are excluded from infinite happiness
  • Infinite happiness is better than any other outcome
  • It is necessarily rational to choose the best outcome
  • A rational act of will can lead to faith

Thoughts?

Current song: Once in a lifetime - Talking Heads

No comments: