Tuesday, February 15, 2005

No one I think is in my tree

I appreciate your extensive insights on the Christian Doctrine, Sir. I would like to pick up on a few of your points:

"One aspect of his perfection is his perfect sense of justice. A perfect sense of justice would not -- could not -- simply allow an offense to go unpunished."

Your logical treatise was based on this initial premise. Unfortunately I believe that this statement reflects the world of men projecting it’s emotions onto God. “A perfect sense of justice” for God just doesn’t make sense to me. God, according to The Bible, is also a jealous God, so in that case does he have “A perfect sense of jealousy”?

I don’t believe that God has these emotions. Take anger for example, which by your argument, God has a perfect sense of.

Why do you (or I) get angry? Think of the last time you got really angry, as far as us humans can get – your best shot at a perfect anger.

Then try to understand how you would have felt if you had known in advance that the thing that made you angry was going to happen. Would you have been so angry about it if you’d already known about it and mulled on it for an eternity?

It depends how one defines a “perfect being”. The Bible defines a perfect being as one who is capable of anger, jealousy and feelings of righteous justice. My suspicion is that God is in an unimaginable state of constant ecstatic joy and happiness. The entire timeline is known, and indeed created by Him.

I think the prawn joke has been doing the circuit for a few years now but it hit my inbox yesterday so I thought that I would share. I guess my motivation behind it was that there is too much dourness and ritual in whiteys Church. I much prefer Reverend James Brown singing about the Old Landmark. God and Jesus laugh a lot (rather than get angry) methinks.

Oh and I think your logic is sound, but logic is not facts. Facts are judged by utility or fidelity, neither of which is quite the same as Absolute Truth, and very difficult to establish in the case of the events depicted in the Bible. Which is why reason fails and we need faith.

Current song: "Strawberry Fields Forever"

John was sharply insightful in this song with:

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

But then again he also said "I am the egg man goo goo ga choob". :-)

No comments: