Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Small Blessings, Gratitude, and 800 miles

I'm in Texarkana, Texas tonight. I made it all the way from Asheville, North Carolina in one day -- 800 miles. That leaves me about 1200 miles to Tucson, near as I can figure. My car has been behaving well ... I had the muffler checked out in Asheville and structurally it's fine. The mechanic plugged the sensor back into the rusted hole of the catalytic converter and darned if it's not still there, 800 miles later. Car sounds great, runs great ... I am quite thankful for that.

Last night I prayed for a good night's sleep, safe travels and a renewed awareness of my dependence on God for all things, big and small. I slept like a baby, and made it here without incident. Sometimes I wonder if things like the muffler incident aren't sent my way as a gentle reminder to me to start looking to the Lord each day, every day rather than only in times of stress. I stand convicted of relying on myself too often.

Current song: I've been listening to a series by R.C. Sproul on Growing in the Christian Faith. It's wonderful.

I would guess Lisa would like to be on this trip ... but I don't think she'd enjoy the 800 miles (12 hard hours) thing. She'd want to stop at every Dairy Queen along the way! :-)

No comments: