Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The omnipotence/free will/sin conundrum

If sin is a fact in our world, and our world is a result of God's perfect plan, does that mean that God created sin?

Of course. God created Satan too, knowing how Satan would turn out. Why he did that is up for grabs.

Or, put another way, what role does our free will play in the introduction of sin into our world. If God knew ahead of time that we would employ our free will to disobey, does that mean that we don't really have free will?

Our will is free from our own perspective yes. From God's perspective our will is not free because he knows what we are going to do, that is a quality of His omnipotence. I don't have a problem with this, my will is free to me, God just knows of the myriad of possibilities, which one I am going to pick before I pick it. In fact "before" is not really a word you can apply to God. That's what you get when you see all of time in one go.

Does the fact that an omniscient God would know ahead of time about our disobedience, does that make it any less an offense? If it does, then by extrapolating out to perfection does the offense go away?

I don't think it is an offence to Him. I can't believe that God would say "I'm so offended by the thing that I created". I suspect that someone wants us to think that He is. I really don't know.

No current song as the girls are here, but that Chilli sounds scrumptious. I get your point.

No comments: