Friday, October 13, 2006

T60p is Purring

I'm writing this entry on my new T60p, all configured up and running with all my critical applications. I have a port replicator on order so I can again use my wonderful old klunky keyboard, which makes quite a racket but takes the abuse I give it. Now I have an itch to get a 20" LCD flat-panel display!

My old T30 continues to run. The poor thing ... I know it realizes its fate.

I'm reminded of an IKEA ad that ran in the U.S. a little ways back. It showed a young lady cleaning her apartment. She put her trusty desk lamp into a box along with some other things to be discarded, and set the box on the curb for pickup. They shot the scene in low light with simulated rain. The music suggested desolation and loneliness. The purpose was to get the viewer to conjure up a sense of sadness for the lamp.

Then a man walks into the frame. He asks, "Why do you feel sorry for it? It's just a lamp. Get a new one." The scene fades to black and the IKEA logo appeared.

I love that ad ... very clever use of the viewer's emotions.

No comments: