Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Phono Input vs. Tape Input

Initially I fed the cable into my "phono" input jacks on my receiver, but that didn't sound right ... muffled, or something. Then I swapped them to the tape input on my receiver. Much better.

Why?

Old phonograph players -- did they feed an amplified signal, or was it a passive signal into the input? That's the only thing I can think of -- that the tape input is more akin to what a MP3 player outputs, where a phono is something "different."

I debated about unplugging my tape player, but then I got to thinking ... when was the last time I played a cassette tape? Answer -- at least 15 years. Our phonograph player is still in a box in the garage. It'll never come back out.

* * *
Every year, Playboy magazine -- which I don't get or read or look at the pictures -- has a "Back to School" edition that's aimed at ... gosh, I'm not really sure what demographic it's aimed at. They show fashion outfits including $1500 shoes and $70 socks. And that was in the 1983 edition!! They also show outrageously expensive turntables and amplifiers, with super-sensitive shock dampening devices and vacuum tubes. $30,000 or so.

I have to wonder.

Why? Again, why?

No comments: