Thursday, October 12, 2006

Behemoths

Now you Americans are more wowed by HDTV than Brits because of the awful default resolution (first 405 then 525 lines) of your normal broadcasts and sets as opposed to our default 625 line well defined behemoths.

I wonder why my country took a different track from your country? Could it be because the UK had a single provider (BBC) and this country was more decentralized? Or was it more related to TV being adopted earlier in the US with more "primative" resolution?

* * *
What is a "Chav?"

* * *
I doubt I'll take the plunge to get a new TV any time soon. We have a 15 year old CRT TV that does quite well, thank you very much. I bought that for Lisa as a birthday present before we were married. She's since told me that when I did that, she thought "Hmmm ... that's a pretty big investment. He must be thinking he's going to get this back one day." In other words, she took that as a sign I was considering marriage. Girls ... they're so crafty.

* * *
I'm back from Orlando. I'm sitting in my home office, alone in the house except for the cat. My fair wife is in Los Angeles serving as a whipping post for another part of our common employer.

* * *
I was just on the phone with members of the WSC, one of which was Mr. Cox. At one point I mentioned that I didn't have the complete picture of what had been accomplished. Cox then said, "That's because you live on the other side of the planet." It was said somewhat in jest, but like all things there's an element of true sentiment under the covers. I've long believed that moving to Tucson removed me from the "mainstream" of work back east. This is one more piece of evidence that it's true.

No comments: