Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Absence of TV

I watch far less TV now than I used to. I'm not quite to the level you are. But in any given week I probably watch two or three hours. And that's usually on a spotty basis ... five minutes here; 20 minutes there.

I think it can be said without too much trouble that television has fundamentally transformed humans in a way that is not necessarily positive. I'll go further -- MTV is one of the most evil and corrosive forces in the world.

* * *
Techno-geek questions for you ... I understand that the feed coming off the standard DVD will not drive an HDTV screen to its most spectacular. I'm seeing references to DVD players that do some kind of digital enhancement that makes the DVD look better on an HDTV screen, but still not quite "real" HDTV.

Q1 -- Is it true that standard, run-of-the-mill DVDs played on a standard, run-of-the-mill DVD player will not be as eye-poppingly good on an HDTV screen as "real" HDTV?

Q2 -- Is there going to be "real" HDTV DVDs coming out soon?

Q3 -- What the heck is "Blue Ray"? I keep hearing that.

Q4 -- Are HDTVs the new status rage in the UK they are in the US?

No comments: