Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Carbon and Water

When I first considered the question about which would upset the existing order the most, I was thinking more locally ... specifically, life as we know it. I hadn't considered the effect of carbon on stars and the structure with higher elements.

The inability of hydrogen to bond to oxygen would eliminate water which I think is elemental to all life as we know it, right? Some life forms don't need much, but they all need some ... am I correct? I mean, in addition to the basic need of water in DNA.

Question: is possession of DNA a definition of "life?" Some things -- simple viruses for instance -- have RNA but not DNA, correct? Are they considered "life?" Do all plants and animals have DNA, including things like fungus and lichen?

The lack of carbon means the elimination of complex molecular strings, does it not? Isn't carbon one of the basic things that allow long chains?

You can tell that chemistry was not my strong suit.

So according to the Periodic Table that is stuck on my wall that is ...

You have a Periodic Table on your wall? You do? Seriously?

Geeeeeeeek!!

That's pitiful. :-)

Just kidding ... I can picture it. I'd have one too if I understood it.

* * *
I'm happy to hear you have your daughter on an extended basis. I am somewhat sad to hear her mother seems to have "other things" she deems more important. Make the most of it, I guess.

No comments: