Sunday, October 15, 2006

Space ... the Final Frontier

I am wondering whether we will colonize the entire Universe one day and I think we will.

I'm less sure. I say that for several reasons:
  • There may be other life forms already there, and they might resist our attempts. Perhaps so fiercely as to destroy us.
  • We may end up destroying ourselves before we can venture that far into space.
  • I doubt such quantum transport (or whatever) will really ever work
But then again, I'm as deeply skeptical as one can be.

I recall seeing the movie "2001" when I was 9 years old in 1968. It all looked so fantastic. Well, we're there and beyond, and we don't have anything remotely resembling what was shown in the movie. I'm not saying Hollywood should be held accountable for projections of technology, but I think it is illustrative of our hopeful promise of technology that never quite seems to pan out.

* * *
I can't get over how fast the web pages load on my new T60p. The network is the same 100MB as before. The difference must be in the ability to render the image on the screen.

Transfer to and from my external hard drive is must faster than before. I wonder if my old T30 had USB 1.1 and my new PC has 2.0 ... or whatever. :-)

No comments: