Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

It's 6:35am here in Tucson and already 70 degrees F. I would imagine it's supposed to get to near 100 today. I am home by myself this weekend as my lovely bride has gone back to West Virginia to be with her mother for a few days, then off to her college 25th reunion. She asked if I wanted to join her; I declined. I had a strong need to return home and put down my landing gear for a spell.

Yesterday I had a rather informal dinner with my next door neighbors. They are an interesting couple. They're both between 55 and 60. He has a PhD in high energy physics and was once a professor at the University of Pennsylvania. He left that 20 years ago and went into the IT space in the financial services world. Of late, he's working as a contractor doing some IT project management stuff to pay the bills so he and his wife can pursue their preferred avocation: being a vendor of period apparel at Renaissance Festivals.

Have you ever heard of these things ... and do you have them in the U.K.? Here they are massive events, spanning weeks upon end. The create an English medieval setting and people come to "experience" this ... seeing period crafts, food and clothing. I've been to one once before ... not my cup of tea, so to speak. But it's a big business. My neighbors own vendor booths in two festivals -- the one up in Minneapolis and the one down in Texas. They are looking to expand that list and become, in essence, full-time festival vendors. Here is a picture of them and their website. :-)

The occasion of our impromptu dinner was he coming over to offer a cigar in appreciation for collecting their mail recently, and me asking if he'd like to split a bottle of Zinfandel I'd purchased recently.

* * *
Google, which modifies their banner page to commemorate all sorts of holidays -- today fails to do anything to commemorate Memorial Day. Here's a bitmap of their banner today:



They've ignored Thanksgiving and Easter as well. They seem never to fail to commemorate Earth Day or Halloween. The founders of Google, and their minions, are famously liberal.

* * *
Do you now have both K and E living with you most of the time? How many days a week do you have them? How is that working out for you?

No comments: