Thursday, May 24, 2007

Misdirection

.. or, on the importance of concentrating when filling up your car with gasoline.

Yesterday I had a meeting in Warwick and re-fuelled the car in Buckingham whilst driving home. Unfortunately I filled it up with unleaded gasoline rather than diesel fuel. I managed to drive it 200 yards before it conked out. I was recovered to a garage where the tank was drained of the contaminated fuel and re-filled with diesel. After a few goes it started and all is ok.

I learned that you can put gasoline in a diesel car, drive it, and get away with it. I was fearful that the engine would be damaged, but apparently that is only the case when you mistakenly put diesel into a car with a gasoline-driven engine. I guess diesel explodes with more vigour?

Fortunately K had gone to a friends after school for tea and then on to a school disco that finished at 8:30pm. The mother of her friend had even offered to keep K overnight if necessary - but I was home before 9pm, having broken down at 5.30 pm, only 20 miles from my door.

Mobile phones are a real boon in such emergency circumstances!

+++

You are looking well, if not slightly insane with the beer breakfast creation! :)

Seeing those pics reminds me of the heady days where it was just me, with no child or partner. I used to go on skiing holidays with "me mates" and we'd usually be getting an early flight out of Heathrow, and have had at least two pints of Guinness before getting onto the plane.

I like the look of your cottage (if indeed that was your cottage) and aim to get up there with you one day.

+++

Ah the output of the minds of the Bronte Sisters. Unfortunately there is something in my brain that shys away from the particular weaknesses portrayed in the characters of the Bronte Sisters. I think those weaknesses are there in all of us of course, but they are the anti-thesis of treat others as you wish to be treated. As K pointed out to me on one occasion "revenge is wrong isn't it daddy?"

Still I agree a good book-read beats most TV, maybe not The Simpsons though :) You have no TV in your cottage right?

Welcome back, the alarm clock will ring in 6 minutes and it's time to get K ready for school, a happy feeling for what might be a happy day, thank you Lord.

No comments: