Saturday, May 26, 2007

Parenthood

Next week on Saturday June 2nd, K will obtain 10 years.

Yea! Happy Birthday K!

You, good sir, are getting to be a right proper old man. :-)

The movie stripped some of the struggle and the fears involved with parenthood down to the nub, wanting to do well for your child (and yourself) and fears of not being able to provide, along with keeping the whole thing magical (ie. "the cave") so that your child gets to enjoy being a child without having to take on the cares of adulthood too soon, which they will have to do all too soon really anyway. (emphasis added)


What I emphasized might be my number one reason for not having children myself. The thought of not being able to provide, and watching helplessly as my children suffered and perished, was utterly terrifying. My rational brain knows the probability of that happening was small. My emotional brain, which rules, thought otherwise.

Tonight I'll take a peak at Apocalypto, K is at her mothers.

I will be very interested in hearing what you thought of that. I did not see it. But I've spoken with others who have, and they pretty much all raved about it being a visual/cinematic feast for the eyes.

You know, it's possible that you and your missus are turning English mate. Lessons in high tea and Wuthering Heights are clear indicators :)

Perhaps!

When I started reading Wuthering Heights, I couldn't help but remember Monty Python's skit which had a theatre group performing the work in semaphore. Heathcliff stood on one desolate mountain peak with two flags, Catherine on another. They commenced to issuing semaphore code to one another:

O-h-H-e-a-t-h-c-l-i-f-f-!

O-h-C-a-t-h-e-r-i-n-e-!

:-)

* * *
We watched "Dreamgirls" the other night. It was an okay movie ... I'm not much a fan of musicals. Songs that are part of the storyline, as was the case for Dreamgirls, were fine. Songs that become part of the dialog between characters I don't care for.

Beyonce Knowles looked very nice.

* * *
In case you missed it, Jordin Sparks won "American Idol." She is 17 years old. She's a very good singer and her winning provokes no sense of injustice.

The second place winner was Blake Edwards. His schtick was "beatboxing." He was creative and original, but very limited.

No comments: