Monday, May 28, 2007

Decoration Day

I will be very interested in hearing what you thought of that.

Apocalypto .. well I would agree with your friends who said it was a feast for the eyes, it appears to have been filmed in a jungle somewhere with minimal use of computer graphics - so it's real and looks real. The cinematographer has a sharp understanding of using low lighting levels to make bright objects like flames in fires jump out of the screen. Some of the scenary really is breathtakingly beautiful. The characters in the movie are well described and you find yourself siding with the "white hats" and intensely disliking the "black hats" - the plot however is paper-thin, and unfortunately (?) Gibson can't resist getting his religious views in there, but hey I like Mel Gibson and would expect no less :)

Watching I realize again that films in which people do a lot of running leave me very unsatisfied and frustrated. I noticed this is myself with The Lord of The Rings 2 but not The Lord of The Rings 1, between those two films debuting I loss the ability to run ... now whenever I see a lot of it on the screen I feel a sense of loss.

That said, I can thoroughly recommend Apocalypto to anyone over the age of 18 - no younger as there is some gratuitous violence in it for sure.

+++

Thanks for your birthday wishes for K, she is currenly snuggled up in bed on the internet, it's a cold Bank Holiday in the UK. Your USA has many to remember today also.

No comments: