Friday, May 25, 2007

Petrol

I was fearful that the engine would be damaged, but apparently that is only the case when you mistakenly put diesel into a car with a gasoline-driven engine. I guess diesel explodes with more vigour?

Here in the United States, the nozzle for unleaded gas is slightly smaller than the nozzle for diesel, and the cars are fitted with receptacles that will accept the smaller one but not the bigger. I suspect you have the same over there. So it makes it very difficult to put diesel in a gasoline car, but it's quite possible to put the smaller nozzle in a diesel tank, as you found.

My previous motorcycle's gas input was not built to the "small input" standard. It would accept a diesel nozzle if I wasn't careful. I almost did that once.

Diesel engines are odd things ... ignition occurs mostly due to extreme compression. I think ignition is aided in some instances with a type of spark plug -- a "glow plug" if I understand correctly. Because the engines are subjected to extreme pressure, the blocks tend to be bigger, heavier, and made of steel rather than aluminum. But they run forever.

* * *
Mr. Heathcliff's behavior in Wuthering Heights would clearly be the antithesis of "Treat Others." You're absolutely correct about that. One might argue that Heathcliff was engaging in "Treat other as you were treated" (as opposed to how you might want to be treated), and indeed vengeance is the animation behind his actions.

I'm nearing the end of the book and it appears there's some redemption offered. I've not yet finished, so I can't say for certain what that might be. But it struck me as a very odd book indeed if Bronte had Heathcliff being victorious in his vengeance and then letting the story just end there. The sense of disappointment would be great.

Note: In the movie It's a Wonderful Life, the chief complaint offered by viewers at its initial screening was that Mr. Potter did not meet justice for his "stealing" the money that almost drove George Bailey from business. The movie ended without Potter having to face punishment for that deed. That was 1946 ... a different era ... but still, I think there's a part of the human heart that desires that justice be served.

* * *
Yesterday I had the "abutment" placed in my jaw, bringing to near completion the long process of getting a dental implant. So far the process has been:
  • Fracture tooth so severely that root canal would not save tooth
  • Have tooth extracted
  • Three months later, have a hole drilled in my jawbone with a titanium implant with threaded receptacle placed. A small metal plate then placed over the receptacle of the post and the gum stitched over the top.
  • Two months later (yesterday), reopen gum, remove small plate, and place a small post into the implant. That post now sticks up above the gumline, and will be where the crown will be glued.
  • Two weeks from now: go into general dentist to get impression so fake crown can be fashioned.
  • Two weeks after that: go back into general dentist and have crown permanently placed on the post.
  • Two weeks after that: go back into oral surgeon so they can do final follow-up.
Were I to fracture another molar I would simply have it extracted with no implant placed. I learned it's quite easy to get along without a rear molar. Chewing habits are adjusted. A front tooth would be a different matter. But a molar can be lived without.

No comments: