Thursday, May 03, 2007

Old Car Blues

My 1995 Nissan Altima, which I truly do enjoy, has once again fallen prey to the gremlins of auto breakdown. I think the problem is related to the water pump or some other belt-driven peripheral device. It started making a noise about a week ago, and today whatever it was finally seized up and stalled the engine. I think the main engine is fine -- pistons, valves, drive train, etc. It got towed to the auto repair guys and we'll see what they say.

The funny thing about that car is that I've become quite emotionally attached to it. I can't explain why. It's not my first car. It's not my dream car. It's just a plain 4-door sedan. But it's been a good car for the 10 years I've owned it, only letting me down once when I was far from home. It has 170,000 miles on it.

I suspect the time may have come to replace it. Then the battle begins. My lovely bride insists on massive power -- 6 cylinders minimum, 8 preferably. I insist we have that in the pickup truck, and what we need now is a small sport-about car, something to get us around town economically.

No comments: