Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Source of Justice

Yes but what about someone born in downtown Baghdad? They are in a completely different spot to the person from the Amazon jungle. It's drummed into their head from day zero that Allah and Mohammed are the way, not Jesus.

We are called to believe that this is "just"? Maybe we are but it doesn't seem so. I know I know, it's because we (or at least I) cannot see the big picture :)

No, you misunderstood what I said. There is much on this earth that is not just. The world itself is broken. I'm not aware of any scriptural indication that what transpires on this earth -- in the hands of evil men -- is guaranteed to be right and just.

Note: a greater degree of justice would be that those carrying the message of Christ would be allowed to present their case, and leave the decision to accept or reject that message up to the listener. Of course, in many countries that's not permitted. The message is prohibited by the actions of fallen man. Prohibiting the message is an unjust act instituted by man, not God.

What I said was that God himself is just. And that in the end, when this earth is gone and God calls everyone to account, whatever judgment befalls the person from downtown Baghdad will be a just decision.

I acknowledge that one could argue that the fact there is injustice in this world is evidence that God is himself not just. I don't agree with that argument, but I grant that it is an argument.

Dallas Willard -- not your favorite, I know -- said once, "I don't know who will be saved, but I know that it will be Jesus that does the saving." His point is that while we don't know for certain the exact mechanism and criteria of salvation, we can rely on Christ being the agent of salvation.

There are some -- whether Willard falls in this camp I do not know -- that hold that upon death one comes before Jesus, and at that point they have a final opportunity to reject or accept him. Further, some argue that in the presence of the risen Christ, all will come to Him. They cite the verses:
By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.
(Isaiah 45:23, NIV)
and in particular:
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:9-11, NIV)
Whether this is a true and correct interpretation of scripture, I do not know.

Ultimately, we -- you and I -- are called to "trust Jesus." Why should that not also include trusting him to do what is right and just with all those people for whom you are concerned?

No comments: