Saturday, January 06, 2007

Complexity

I have heard of WSRR and it appears to be a "hot" product. I have no idea what it does and why though.

Cast your mind back to when applications were monolithic. Take a large CICS application for example. Would an SOA "service" of today be analogous to a particular CICS transaction? Would a "registry" be the CICS list of transactions available to a region? Not sure what the repository would be .. a disk?

There is no doubt we as an industry are making things far more complicated than they need to be. I think things will improve over the next 10-20 years though. Software development is missing some basic building blocks, as soon as we create what looks like a good building block (by "building block" I mean something we can "black-box" so that we don't need to expose the complexity within it) we go and create something else on top of it with exposed complexity. I think the root cause of the problem is a) human nature and b) the non-physical nature of software.

+++

My daughter seems to be thriving at home with me. I was worried that she might not be happy here or miss her mother and sister but it's the opposite. I now wonder how bad it must have been for her all those years to want to turn away and not look back. Still early days I guess.

No comments: