Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Like chewing barbed wire

Thanks to your Mrs for the advice on remote management, I had guessed as much but it's good to see it confirmed in black and white.

I think writing a book of such stories would be enormously appealing.

I am sure you are correct, especially with your illustrious and imaginative writing style, I so wish you would do it.

+++

Miniver chart:

According to Mrs Miniver, in the ideal romance each lover shares exactly two thirds of their interests with the other. She wanted to symbolize this with a diagram of two circles of the same size, overlapping such that the area of the overlap is that same as sum of the areas of each of the two crescents formed (half of the area of the overall figure). What is the ratio of the distance between the centres of the circles and their radii?

The answer is approximately 0.529864, and is believed to be trancendental, here it is:

(An earlier version of the problem was to find the answer if the intersection area was the same as the area of one of the crescents, which gives the answer 0.807946, but this isn't what Mrs Miniver originally stated as the ideal romance).



+++

K's mother, having moved out the area for a number of reasons, not least that she would be closer to her new job, got fired yesterday. The reason she got fired was for arguing with her boss, she's not going to work out her notice either. This is the fifth job I have known her to get fired from - all for the same reason. In one of the sackings she tried to get her boss indicted on sexual harrassment charges but of course they wouldn't stick as they were in her mind only.

It's lucky for her that I am still paying the same money into her household as if K were living there, even though she is living with me now. That was one of the conditions, I'll keep things like that for a while at least until things settle down, but it may be for a long time, as she has no other source of income. In fact I increased the payments slightly as I now pay K's maternal sister, E money directly also, she's 13 now and has a boyfriend :) (Who unfortunately lives a long way from E, near to K and I in fact).

Still it's ok, I recall somewhere in The Bible it says that if people try to get your money or sue you, then you should pay up, and even pay a little bit more then what they are asking for. Is there such a passage I wonder or am I imagining it? I will look !

PS. I looked, this is what I was thinking of:

Matthew 5:40 (New International Version)

40 And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well

No comments: