Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Illusion of Productivity

This week I'm back in G'burg. I've come to understand something about the difference between working at a centralized office and working by myself at home. Aside from the differences in social interactions -- which are important -- working in a centralized office affords one to cling to an illusion of being productive. The act of walking around -- going to the printer, going to the restroom, just being seen -- can create a sense that "I'm doing something." Working at home I find no such thing.

This is a problem for me because I have a heightened sense of needing to feel worthwhile. Here in G'burg I'm doing no more or less than I do at home. But I feel as if I am, and therefore there's a better sense about me. At home, I develop a sense of agitation unless I am furiously slaving away at something.

I'm a sick, sick man. I am indeed. :-)

No comments: