Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Joys of "Chili Spaghetti"

So help me, I do love it so.*

Since at least when I was in my 20's, I have enjoyed the simple pleasure of a pile of steaming spaghetti smothered in a good chili, covered with cheddar cheese and Tabasco hot sauce. I am having that tonight. It is yummy.

And it seems that true spaghetti -- the long, thin stuff -- is key. Elbow macaroni or any other shape doesn't seem to taste as good. I know that pasta is pasta. But for some reason, the long spaghetti strikes my palette best.

* Note: a thin reference to a line from the movie "Patton." General Patton is on a hillside, overlooking the aftermath of a battle. He surveys the carnage, and comments how there is nothing in all of human endeavor he loves as much. "I love it. God help me, I love it so."

No comments: