Monday, January 22, 2007

"Self-Evidently Incomplete"

I look at all the available evidence and come up with an "on balance of probability" statement that I can accept.
  • You accepted: John 14:6 (King James Version)
  • You rejected: Matthew 20:1-16
Both are attributed utterances of Jesus. Unless you're more of a Bible scholar than I'm aware, I can't see on what basis you would "on balance of probability" believe John but discredit Matthew.

Plus, Matthew 20:1-16 is a parable ... Jesus is using it to make a larger point he wished to make at that time. The fact that you are able to posit alternative reasons for the made-up workers' discontent does not mean Jesus was trying to be "self evidently incomplete."

If you believe Matthew 20:1-16 is an unreliable representation of what Jesus said based on your self-detected "Lewis-ism," then I would imagine you should have also rejected John 14:6:
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me
Problems:
  • The "way, the truth, and the life" is an incomplete list. There are other things he may be.
  • "No man cometh" is a statement of certainty in an uncertain world
I'd imagine much of the Bible is in jeopardy using this standard. That, of course, may be your larger point.

No comments: