Thursday, November 10, 2005

Specie = Different Clockspeed

I think you're correct ... I think we did discuss the specie thing before. I think the definition of a "specie" being a grouping in which breeding is possible is generally accepted, but I think there are exceptions to it.

I'm perfectly happy with the idea that God simply used all the mechanisms of what we call "science" to create us. He created the "science" and used his creation to create us. No problem. The key is that God is behind it. That, to my eye, is the real concept behind "Intelligent Design." Science explains much of the "how," but not all the "how" nor any aspect of the "why." This is why I think it is impossible for someone to be a Christian and reject "Intelligent Design," unless they hold a different definition of that term than I do. But if rejecting "Intelligent Design" means rejecting the idea of higher-power creative force, then rejecting "Intelligent Design" necessarily means subscribing to atheism. This is my primary complaint with John Derbyshire of National Review Online, who scoffs at "Intelligent Design" yet speaks of him being a "lifelong Anglican." In fairness, I think he holds in his mind an idea that "Intelligent Design" means accepting the literal Genesis account of creation. I tried to tease that out of him via e-mail, but he's a slippery chap and I couldn't pin him down. Frankly, I think he's employing inconsistent logic. But bless his heart, he's a good writer on many different topics, so I still like him. :-)

You ... are ... a ... pointy ... headed ... GEEK! All that talk of clockspeeds and voltages. But good for you building a screaming system. I could use that with my XD testing. My Thinkpad comes to an absolute crawl with the minimum server processes started. I have 1GB real memory and the memory demand is over 2GB ... the paging subsystem of Windows (or perhaps it is the access speed of my hard drive) seems to struggle to swap stuff in and out.

Good luck with our friends across the channel.

Only 84 references to God? I would have figured many, many more! :-)

No comments: