Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Meeting Famous People

Who knows ... your "meeting" these famous people may be a precursor to something bigger. Perhaps in the past meeting such people would have been met with a flush of pride, but now there's a greater humility to your spirit, so the meetings can be used for some better purpose.

* * *
Ah, the old "pawn in the center of the board and checkmate in five as black" gambit. I once used that against an old Bulgarian chessmaster. It was 1952, and I was in Tunisia on a secret mission for the CIA. We met at a dusty coffee house; not much of a place -- a few tables, a small gathering of old men who probably spent every day there. One of the tables had a crude chessboard painted on it. I was mindlessly moving the salt shaker across the board as if it was a bishop.

"You play?" Came the deep voice, thickly accented.

I nodded.

"Play now?" He asked.

Again, I nodded.

He assumed white; I took black ...

(pick up the story thread and let's see where this goes)

No comments: