Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Introverts and "B-list" players

If the definition of an "introvert" is someone who needs quiet time alone to "recharge," then I am very definitely an introvert. I think the label carries some baggage, as many people think of an introvert as someone who holes up in a dark room and obsesses over new computer cases with three fans. :-)

Note: I'm just teasing you ... if your new case has achieved 10 degrees cooler temperatures and is quieter and it provides you thrills in your darkened room, then that's great. :-) Hey, did you see that your post received a comment, and not some automated blog-bot comment?

For me, there is no torture more painful than going to a crowded shopping mall with Lisa. The crowds are bad enough, but if I were by myself I could endure by driving straight for my objective and then getting out. But when I'm with Lisa, then I have to double-up my energy consumption -- energy to avoid getting run over by the crowd, and energy to keep an eye on where Lisa is going so I don't become separated from her. After such a journey, I am physically exhausted and often need several hours to recover.

This ties into an article I read about two years ago which addressed the issue of "A-list" workers and "B-list" workers. Considerable attention is paid to the superstar "A-list" employees. They are often (though not always) more extroverted. This is certainly true in a sales-oriented company like ours. The article went on to point out how while having "A-list" superstars is important, having a good supply of rock-solid, steady "B-list" employees is critical. These are the people who fly a bit under the radar, aren't all flash, but get stuff done. They tend to be more introverted.

Way back in college I spent some time as a supervisor for the campus police department. My job was to organize and operate a large staff of students to perform traffic control for campus sporting events. I quickly learned then what I think still applies now -- what is really needed is good, steady, dependable people who don't need a lot of care and feeding. Give them a job to do, treat them with respect, and they'll move mountains.

One of the problems with extroverted people is they tend (this is a gross generalization) to require more attention. Having to spend management energy tending to an employees needs is something that very quickly wears on a manager. If the employee is a superstar then the effort may be deemed worth it. But if the employee is only average, then all effort spent tending to the needs (and often, complaints) of the employee rapidly becomes a "not worth the trouble" calculation.

All of which boils down to this: Attitude Matters.

A good attitude will be seen as an asset for an introvert who otherwise has to operate in the shadows of the higher-maintenance A-list superstars. A poor attitude by a B-list introvert is a death sentence.

That's my management consultant report for today. :-)

No comments: