Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wikipedia Knows All

According to Wikipedia:

Some versions state that the name HAL was derived by a one letter shift (see Caesar cipher) from the name IBM, although this has been denied by both Arthur C. Clarke and his fictional character Dr. Chandra, who states that "by now, any idiot should know that HAL stands for Heuristic ALgorithmic" (2010).

* * *

Do opposites attract? I think that's clearly true. Is it to their mutual advantage that they attract? Not always. In particular, I'm thinking of something that appears to be a universal, at least here in the United States. That is: women prefer bad men. For all their talk about wanting kind, considerate, sensitive men ... women are naturally inclined towards the rogue, the dangerous.

There really is some truth to that. Most women overcome this tendency and marry decent guys, but a lot -- a lot -- end up marrying men who are clearly and plainly not good. I've never understood it.

But if there is an element of our fallen nature that strives toward the forbidden (something I don't have any reason to doubt), then it makes some sense.

My question: is there a comparable attraction for men? We don't, as a general stereotype, yearn for bad women, do we?

* * *

Jodie Foster can do or say pretty much anything and I'd be fine with it. For whatever reason, I've always found her attractive. Hated the movie "Contact," though. Actually, I didn't like "Silence of the Lambs" either. Hey, maybe I don't have any reason to like Jodie Foster.

Is it okay to like her based solely on the fact she has a hint of the "librarian" look to her? Have I ever told you that I'm oddly attracted to the Donna Reed as the spinster librarian in "It's a Wonderful Life?" It's the glasses and the hair pulled up in a bun. Foul temptress ... :-)

* * *

My first Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaters%2C_West_Virginia

No comments: