Saturday, January 21, 2006

An Onion

Thanks for your view on the radio programme, yes I agree, the discussions on that show always come down to an historical analysis of people in the past who had big thoughts, but rarely (in fact never to my knowledge) do the panel contribute any original thoughts of their own. I still love it though, middle class folks intellectually masturbating, like the majority of bloggers I imagine. This particular show on relativism has encouraged me to look into Nietzsche and I will report back on that as I get to it !

You wrote:

But, as I've written before, our holding it as true or not true does not change the reality of it. It either is or is not; our perspective on it is irrelevant to that particular aspect of it.

Ok no quantum mechanics, but I am determined to if not at least challenge this view of yours (and all of humanities it seems) - to get my point across!

Your statement assumes something called "the reality of it", when struggling with what you mean I came to the conclusion that you and I both look at existence as An Onion. The difference is this ..

You believe that we start at some finite point distant from the centre of the onion, and we peel back layers and eventually we get at the middle - and there, at last, is the absolute truth, there is reality.

It occurred to me that I think of it like this ..

We start bang in the centre of the Onion and go outwards through layers and layers.

The problem then is this. I think that the Onion is infinitely large, so we never get to the last layer. Like Cher being flat in 2D, bumpy in 3D and only the Lord knows what in 4D.

Do you see my viewpoint here, without me using quantum mechanics do you see what I mean about absolute truth and reality with this analogy? I am not saying that I am right, but do you see where I am coming from? (The middle of an Onion out through an Infinity of layers).

Happy weekend pal.

+++

Oh, I followed your go-for-3000 advice on the chess server, and here we now have it ..

1 3000 tribbles
2 2924 CSMath
3 2883 Stranger
4 2868 Shredder
5 2852 ChopSticks

On the way tribbles broke the world record set by "deveraux" in November 2002, held for other three years, of 2978. Now at 3000 I think I will stop. This is an amazing feat judging by the number of messages of "congratulations" I have received from chess geeks all around the world - at that rareified level you win 1 point by beating a super-grandmaster-level-opponent, you lose 15 points by drawing and lose 30 points by losing. The first entity in chess to get to a 3000 rating, and it had to be a computer ! (Stuck under a desk in the middle of the UK :-)

No comments: