Monday, January 02, 2006

Why folks blog

You asked:

I'm an extremely private person, yet I'm writing things here I'd never write in
a letter, or say in a phone conversation. Why do you suppose that is?


Well there are probably a number of reasons. For you sir, I would say that you are blogging as a means of working through some ideas in your head, clarifying things for yourself -- mixed with perhaps a little bit of catharsis. Me too. I think a stronger (but I'm not sure of that) motivation that I have is to leave some material for my daughter so that she can see how her daddy thought. I think you have this "legacy reason" also, but perhaps it's not so immediate?

The fact that I am blogging with someone who is a very deep thinker, is very crisp, can identify weaknesses in my arguments, has an excellent knowledge of scripture and can really explain things is not a small part of why I blog also.

There is a tension between some of our ideas too which helps, the fact that scientific discoveries will never lead to an explanation of "why?" is not something I fully accept, but in all probability I will have to accept in my lifetime.

No comments: