Monday, January 16, 2006

What will be your response?

My you've been busy! First, thanks for your help on religious matters today and for your technical assistance for much of last week. It is very much appreciated.

+++

Faith gene - hmm. How can a complex human emotion be brought down to a single gene being present or not? Clearly religious propensity is a phenotypical attribute !!

Is this the logical fallacy?

+++

Yes I think the school coach analogy is better. I must say though that at school they used to try to get me to play rugby but I just wasn't built for it. I used to stand around on the wing and avoid as much physical contact as I could - was the coach wrong to tell me to engage?

You've made some very interesting comments. I indeed sense the struggle within you and wonder what will become of this struggle? When you write:

Our response is to believe Him, trust him and serve him

Okay what does this mean to you?

"believe Him" .. okay do you mean what He says in The Bible or through some other contact from Him? Both beg the question "how do you know that that is God's word?" Okay you have already mandated on a 3x5 that The Bible is the word of the creator of the universe, so I guess that you don't know that The Bible is his word, you just "make it so" to establish a framework for belief, which is great. I see of no other way of believing in something that is not self evident.

"trust Him" .. how does that manifest itself? Is it "I am going to put myself in a position of discomfort because I know that the Lord will see me through?" I cannot think what else trusting the Lord might mean, unless it is linked to "believing him" above.

"serve Him" .. the most interesting. People would say becoming a religious priest is the greatest service one can do for God. This is certainly what Immams believe. To you, is that the best way to serve God? By becoming a priest/rabbi/immam whatever?

How will these things manifest themself in you my good friend?! I am excited to see.

+++

Please say a prayer for Gary H, today he was told the news that he has stage 4 melanoma. Depending on how far it has spread, these are the average survival times:

Skin, lymph nodes, colon, or rectum: 13 months
Lungs: 8 months
Liver, brain, or bone: 4 months

No doubt the consultant said "I am sorry" and looked at his shoes. You know it's bad when the consultant looks at his shoes. Still, what else can he do? Still, Gary may buck the odds and live forever.

No comments: