Monday, January 16, 2006

Knowing the Will of God

As we've discussed before, this is the hard thing, isn't it?

But it seems to me that it's really not that hard at the macro level. The Bible is pretty clear about the over-arching principles God has given us. Humility. Kindness. Mercy. Justice.

The difficulty comes when trying to discern the finer and finer points. Should I take this job? Should I marry this person?

I have no idea what the answer is. I don't really believe that God speaks in specifics to people: "John, wear your blue suit today at at lunch order the tuna." But it strikes me as reasonable that a life spent oriented towards the key principles will produce smaller actions aligned the same way. And perhaps the small stuff really doesn't matter much, provided the big stuff is adhered to.

No comments: