Tuesday, June 21, 2005

"Slightly doolally?"

I've known you for darn near seven years now, and in all that time I've heard only a few truly obscure British slang phrases from you. Then in this most recent post you drop two:
  • slightly doolally
  • really taking the michael
All this leads me to ask a crucial question: when you're around Americans, do you intentionally supress some of the more British sayings?

I find such phrases wonderful ... I love discovering them for the first time.

Perhaps it's just because I am from here, but I don't think of Americans having such colorful phrases in our speech. Is that true, or do I just not hear them since I'm so familiar with them?

* * *
The scene you mentioned from the Star Wars movie I recall in general, but that level of detail slipped right past me. Good catch!

* * *
Next week I go up to Canada to my cottage for the 4th of July. This year marks the 110th anniversary of the Club that owns the island. I am currently president of the Club and as such I must preside over the annual meeting ... my third straight year doing that. On Sunday, July 3rd they're holding an informal church service, and they're short a few passage readers. I received an e-mail asking if I'd like to contribute.

Here's where the rubber meets the road, my friend. My first inclination is to decline, simply because it's easier to stay anonymous. Or I could accept and try to spread the Gospel in a way some may not have heard or considered. If you could suggest a topic to focus on for a five minute talk, what would you suggest?

I can't help but think this was a test dropped in my lap. I really don't wish to fail.

No comments: