Sunday, June 26, 2005

Competition and winning

How unfortunate to have one's house taken off of one, I bet the takers would not wish to be treated in such a fashion. It just goes to show how accurate the statement all property is theft actually is.

You wrote:

I do think there's a fundamental aspect of human nature at play at the core
of this, and to the best of my knowledge it's not been written about.


Let me ask, what is "winning" and why do we like to do it? Why do we wish to compete with one another? Whether it be in athletic or business endeavours we seem to wish to do "better" than our fellow human being.

I assume that rich politicians/businessmen aren't going to get that much more pleasure out of a bigger house or car or boat -- are they?

Maybe we are competing against ourselves? "I wish to know the extent of my limits" one oftens hears. But why do we wish to know the extent of our own limits? Is self discovery that important? I wonder what Dr. Maslow would say about it?

Are we pre-programmed with the need to compete? (After all this is what leads to the activity you described in your last post). If so, why?

I like what Rudyard Kipling wrote on winning and losing in his famous "If ..." poem ...

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!


Current song: "Don't Look Back in Anger" -- Oasis

PS. Alice found out that Tony had been two-timing her and as such they have now apparently parted ways. Alice is devastated. My slight worry is that Alice said "Let's emigrate to Australia" to the kids. My daughter phoned me and said "If we go to live in Australia can you come and live in Australia too please daddy?". Ho hum, well, at least I am alive and very very happy to be here -- not in pain!! It could be a lot worse. Thank you Lord!

No comments: