Thursday, June 09, 2005

I Fear the Probability of Proof

You asked:
Isn't it more likely than none are correct?

I'll grant that the possibility of none being correct is there. I can't venture a guess as to the probability of it. I suppose that would depend on what exactly is the assertion of each. The more generic the assertion ("A higher being created the universe") then the probability of none being correct is low. But as the assertion becomes more specific ("God is 5'9" tall and has a pet schnauzer named 'Max'") then the probability of none being correct elevates.

The same holds for scientific theory, does it not? All the theories about the origins of the universe may be wrong. Well, except my "Lighty" theory, of course. :-)

What do I fear? Death, of course ... but if I really think about it what I fear is two aspects of death: what happens on the way to death (suffering), and what happens after death. I've never in my life been a true atheist. Rather, I've always assumed that I'd somehow be shown mercy. But I was never completely convinced of that; rather it was a hope. The prospect of being held accountable for all my thoughts, deeds and actions is what I fear. That fear is accentuated when I consider the standard by which I might be judged. A low bar provides little fear; hence the desire to think that post-death judgment is lax. But a high bar strikes terror. And a bar set at "perfect" is what brought me to Christ.

No comments: