Friday, June 10, 2005

Believing It True; Therefore, Believing

I often ask people if they believe there is an "absolute truth." It's quite amazing how many people -- even people who claim to be Christians -- find it difficult to say yes. Now proving that Truth and believing that it exists are two quite different things.

If I thought that the Christian worldview was just one of many from which I might choose, I would never have settled upon it. If in fact all religions were indeed equally valid, in my heart I'd sense the common untruth of all and probably continue in an agnostic way.

I'm really not trying to sound combative or boastful or anything like that here ... I'm just trying to express what my mind and heart has latched onto. It's the equation I've written about before: If the central claims of Jesus are false, then Christianity is a worthless religion; but if they are true, then the implications are enormous. I choose to believe they are true; therefore, the implications are enormous.

Of late I am sensing an enormous something in my heart, as if God is nudging me to go in some direction. There is an elevated sense of the Truth of Christ, and this has come about without a concerted effort on my part to "believe more" than I did before. My mind has moved past some of the nagging doubts from the recent past and they are now in the "settled" category. There is a powerful sense to not debate or argue about it any more. It's almost as if the Lord is telling me, "Your path is not that way, come this way." I am, of course, resisting because of the unknown. But the change is there. It is real.

The other night I was visiting with friends back in Virginia, and as we sat out in the garage drinking bourbon and smoking cigars (in the garage because it was raining), the wife of the couple opened up and was expressing some painful and deeply personal things to me. From what I know of her, that was a difficult thing to do. This is not an uncommon occurrence: I frequently find people telling me things like this. Perhaps there is an awareness of trust, or empathy, or something. But it got me wondering ... could this be my calling? Am I being asked to pursue a path of pastoral counseling, or something like that? I have no training in that area, and my listening skills are weak. I'm not rushing to make this decision, but I am wondering.

May the blessings of our Lord Jesus be upon you, my dear friend.

No comments: