Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Science and Religion

When you wrote:

I don't believe it can be said that all scientists act with equal humility.

Similarly, some people of faith are more than happy to admit they don't know it all.

I realised that I had not fully made my point clear. Let me have another go:

The scientific community primarily (in general) looks for things that dispute their theories. Do you recall all the kerfuffle about cold fusion in the late 80's? It was soon found to not work as others could not recreate the results in their labs around the worlds.

Religions on the other hand primarily (in general) look for things that validate themselves and find reasons to explain away things that do not fit (for example the Barnes commentary on the Bible, certainly the bits about Jesus bearing witness on himself - but don't get hung up on this one example - in general this seems to be the case (to me)).

This is a key difference between science and religion, along with my point earlier that good scientific theories predict things. (What have the various religions predicted? - things that have actually come to pass I mean?)

I believe that a scientist can change his/her belief in a theory but I believe that a Muslim is unlikely (>99%) to turn to Christianity and vica versa.

So religious people seem to be more sure of themselves, and to me seem to be more arrogant. So when I see discussion that science folks are just as blinkered as religious folks - something about that does not ring "true". For this reason I do not believe that religious folks should attack scientific folk (or vica versa - but the latter rarely happens in my experience. Live and let live, and a scientist is never sure that he is "right"). That was my point I guess.

Love ya!

Current song: "The Righteous & The Wicked" -- Red Hot Chili Peppers

No comments: