Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Uniquely Unique

I wonder if any other of God's creatures do that? None that we know of I guess. But animals are still conscious are they not?

They are conscious, certainly; sentient also, I believe; but self-aware? That I do not know. My dog of 17 years was a remarkably personable creature. He seemed to recognize me, and seemed eager to please. Was that just a behavior-reward reflex? Maybe.

I doubt very much that other animals have the same level of self-awareness that we do, or the capacity to stare up into space and attempt to comprehend the vastness of it, or the desire to gaze off into a sunset and admire the beauty for beauty's sake. I can't prove that, but that's what I believe. This is why I believe humans are uniquely unique. If these capabilities were the result of natural selection, I'd think we'd see different degrees of it in lower forms. But to the best of my knowledge chimpanzees don't watch the sun set, or think about their mortality while picking fleas off another.

Note: I've often thought being aware of one's mortality in the absence of immediate danger was perhaps the single defining element of self-awareness. Does my cat know that one day it will die? I doubt it. Yet we do. Would a child never told about death one day come to the realization that their lives are limited?

* * *
Assuming you maintain custody of K for many years to come ... have you given thought to how you will handle the "woman" issues that will arise? Like the onset of puberty; the purchase of the first bra; the wonders and perils of dating?

No comments: