Sunday, February 11, 2007

Fat Free

Humans are unique in this world.

Yes -- and there are as many as 10 million unique species on the planet by one estimate. Sidenote: all of the species found so far have been traced as being descendents of just four species found in the Burgess Shale (Cambrian Explosion). However, there were 20 unique species found in the Burgess Shale. Food for thought that there have been no descendents of the other 16 found today. Perhaps due to the violent pounding the Earth has taken in the last 500 million years, wiping out so many species?

There are very few human behaviors that are truly mandated by our genetics. Breathing, digestive processing, gag reflex, closing eyes when sneezing -- involuntary. Being an adulterer -- an exercise of the will.


That's an interesting point. Our brains are formed from our genetics, but the structure inside of our brains grows and changes due to stimuli and experience in our lives -- so yes very different from the other autonomic processes you mention (did you ever see the Gattaca movie?).

Hmm, and is "our will" anything other than the stuctures of neurons in our brains? (I hope so).

Here's an interesting question:

  • Two people -- a man and a woman -- unmarried but living together for companionship and survival -- are asked to abide by God's will and abstain from any sexual activity, though they both desire it.
  • Two people -- a man and a man, or a woman and a woman -- unmarried but living together for companionship and survival -- are asked to abide by God's will and abstain from sexual activity, though they both desire it.
What's the difference?

I'm being dense here I know but I am not sure I understand what you're asking here. But I agree the hetero couple can get married and start bonking. But note (digression warning), the NT seems to suggest that Jesus was saying that marriage was a "last resort" and an "ok, if you really must do it then get married". Does this suggest to you that if we were all true Christians then the Earth's human population would dwindle to zero and mankind would die out? It does to me. Any maybe that is what Jesus was suggesting should happen, maybe that is the ultimate plan? Maybe that is where true fulfilment lies -- in the avoidance of life. It's possible, imagine that before life we were in some permanently blissful state, then life comes along and spoils all of that. Maybe life is a chore, maybe Jesus was hinting at that? Doesn't sound very "life affirming" but Jesus is God so knows (and wrote) the plan. Anyway I can't think of any other difference than the one you pointed out, but I know I've missed your point :(

Another question:
  • A homosexual couple lives their lives in a committed, caring way where their sexual behavior is at best a secondary definitional element of their relationship.
  • A homosexual couple lives their lives in a wild, promiscuous way where their sexual behavior is by far the primary definitional element of their relationship.
Is there a difference in the way society would react to one versus the other? If so, why?

Well, if you are heterosexual and conform to the bias for heterosexuality -- and homosexual promiscuity is in your face then you're more likely to complain about it. If it's hidden then you are probably more likely to let sleeping dogs lie :) Hedonistic pleasure seekers of the magnitude of the second bullet are many standard deviations away from the centre (think bell curve) and society provides a natural negative pressure on any activity proportional to it's distance from the mean. OK, I just made that up but I think that there is something in it. Again I may be missing your point :(

+++

Music soothes the human mind, chanting and all that is marvellous. There is something special about the human voice, so whilst tree-frog song from Bermuda is relaxing, it's just not as engaging as people singing. Frank Zappa once said "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."

In fact, Katherine is staying with her mother for three nights from today so I may get a chance to finish my latest cover songs album which my family want to hear. I've been recording stuff since August or so, I ended up covering a Beatles song from Sgt. Pepper -- so my album is called "She's Living Home" :)

I actually hope K is happy at her mothers, whilst A has not had one phone call from our daughter saying "I miss you" (which is good - but odd), every day that K spends at A's I get a phone call saying "Daddy come and get me". It's tough, but not so bad as I know that she is safe on the whole and will be home soon.

+++

I have to diet but not to lose weight but to try to eat heathily and eat those foods that are meant to depress cancer, like broccoli. Good luck with yours! I am lucky I will never be overweight.

No comments: