Thursday, February 15, 2007

Selfish Gene

Assuming you maintain custody of K for many years to come ... have you given thought to how you will handle the "woman" issues that will arise? Like the onset of puberty; the purchase of the first bra; the wonders and perils of dating?

Hehe .. the word "custody" has long since faded from courtroom use in the UK, it's now referred to as "residence".

I don't have a problem with any of those "feminine" issues, I guess having four sisters (and no brothers) myself, I have seen it all. I can imagine some "manly men" may have a problem in this area, but we don't fall into stereotypes in this house. We've already discussed the onset of the menarche (interesting that the word contains the word "men"), K asked "is there much blood?" so I told her what I knew, and she knows that there is always google. For sure I lack the empathic response having not been through it, but her mother and sister are still around , at least once every two weeks. She told me her friend Tasha has "got her hormones already", lol. I tell her I have the pleasure of her living with me for another 9-10 years or so, and in that time it's my job to prepare her for the outside world as best I can. Period.

We're reading interminable Jacqueline Wilson novels, that contain girls and boyfriends, so we've also discussed "boys" and "dates" etc. I'll be checking them suitors out don't you worry :)

After all, I know what I was like.

+++

Minimum wage, I don't think it's necessary in this day and age, there is no upper cap on the limit that Bill Gates can earn so why should their be a lower cap?

What compells most to feel the "burden" of such things must fall on "everyone" or "someone else." Is it simply selfishness? Or is there something more at work here ... a kind of class resentment, perhaps? In other words, there are others who have more than me, so screw them and make them pay?

If there are things that my tax goes towards paying for, such as benefits for people who can't or won't work, then I don't think I need to pay again out of my own pocket for. When I no longer pay taxes this may change :)

I don't think minimum wage falls into that category, as that is just an imposition on the profits of the employer and doesn't come out of my taxes.

It's always somebody else's problem to a whole subset of humanity though. It goes along with the entitlement culture. People do need to actually try occasionally you know. Everyone out for themselves, the selfish gene etc.

No comments: