Sunday, February 11, 2007

Marriage Redux

This is pretty clear to me but I don't hear this taught in Church or in Christian schools:

1 Corinthians 7:38

So then he who marries his betrothed does well, and he who refrains from marriage will do even better.

Is doing "even better" associated with becoming a Monk or a Catholic Priest? Both of whom I believe are not allowed to marry -- although a could be wrong on that.

My point here is that to follow The Lords wishes as closely as possible, as laid down in The Bible in this passage then we should not marry. And if we don't marry we clearly cannot participate in sinful sex. God is recommending to us that we abstain from sex completely. So then my question is where do the people come from to fill The Church coffers? To put money on the plate to keep the entire machinery of religion going? I use this as just another example of where man made religion (which is akin to politics) actively goes against the teachings of God.

I think that's why we don't see this guidance in The Bible taught to young folk, it would bankrupt The Church. We see monogamous Christian marriage taught to them instead. Note: recall my local preacher whose wife I observed picking up multiple receipts in the supermarket car park? Well, last week after dropping my daughter off at School on Tuesday morning, I saw him driving up the road in a classic white Rolls Royce. A beautiful car. Now, he may have been driving it for a friend or delivering it somewhere, but the car must have cost a small fortune, it was stunning. I'll see if I see him in it again. I smiled, it gives a very different portrayal to the motives behind the story of the poor old lady who put her last two mites in The Church plate, an activity which we are told is a good thing to be rewarded in Heaven.

To me it's just the wrong motivation in someone so tied to God to be so tied to an expensive car. Another digression for sure, but shown to me for a reason.

Don't get me wrong, I know that I too am a hypocrite but I'm uncomfortable with it and am actively trying not to be one. I don't like being a sap either (that's a great american term of which I have no idea of the origin of).

Let's face it, people are not going to stop following the genetic imperative to procreate so society is doing it's best to put bounds around the behaviour, married or otherwise.

No comments: