Sunday, February 18, 2007

Changes

That's because they know darn well why minimum wages can't go to $25/hour -- most unskilled jobs aren't worth that

I'm left wondering how is a "per hour" rate arrived at for any job? Finance really eludes me. I don't understand economics well enough. Is salary purely based on supply and demand? Ie. If they aren't many people who are willing or able to do the job then they get a high salary? Is it if we think the job they are doing is "important"? But who defines "important"?

I mean I can understand a surgeon who saves lives getting a high salary, because we humans place a premium on human life. I could maybe understand how a concert pianist gets a high salary as they give artistic pleasure to many -- but they don't get such a high salary do they?

Maybe musicians don't because they enjoy what they do, so it's like a vocation, and we don't want to pay people lots of money for something that they enjoy doing, and would probably do anyway? So maybe salary is dependent on a number of things?

Hmm convents :) Now there is an idea! No I want my daughter to be happy -- having said that if she wants to go to a convent then I'm not stopping her.

I wish your Mrs well at this time. I imagine that "the change" could bring its challenges, both physical and emotional.

No comments: