Monday, February 26, 2007

Born to Be Wild

The reference is to the classic Steppenwolf song that has become associated with the open road motorcycle counter-culture. The song played a role in the movie "Easy Rider" with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper. I've never seen the movie.

Note: there is probably no bike more "un-Easy Rider" than a Goldwing. It represents the very opposite of the chopper, counter-culture stereotype. From what I understand, Honda looked at the demographics of the bike's following and decided, some five or so years ago now, to revamp the bike a bit. Hence the construction around a sport bike frame. Honda has quite a history of sport bike and racing bike innovation.

Yes, the Goldwing has a reverse gear. But it's really driven off the starter motor and not the engine itself. It's perfectly adequate for moving the bike a few feet. I've only used it once or twice, and it was really just to try it out. But when the bike is on a slight incline, it'll come in handy. The bike weighs 850 pounds.

It also features an 80-watt four speaker audio system. It has an AUX input jack, which I've used with my MP3 player to great effect. Even at 90mph and all the wind noise -- and wearing super quiet ear plugs, which I do -- I can hear it. Half the country-side can probably hear it too. But by the time they come out of their homes to see what that loud cacophony was, I'll be long gone.

My dear better half has been wonderful about this ... she saw the dream in my eye and offered nothing but encouragement. She's a keeper.

No comments: