Friday, February 16, 2007

"Menarch"

We've already discussed the onset of the menarche (interesting that the word contains the word "men"), K asked "is there much blood?" so I told her what I knew, and she knows that there is always google.

I wonder how many Google hits we'll get with that word in our blog?

Somehow I had a sense you'd approach the topic without reservation or embarrassment. How old is K now? 9? Lisa told me that for her, the onset started around 10+ years. Interesting bookend to that ... at nearly 47 that chapter appears to be drawing to a close.

Did you ever see the movie "Carrie"? In it, the character Carrie was never told by her mother about the onset of menstruation. So when it finally happens -- in the shower in high school gym class -- she is terrified because she has no idea what it is. The other girls torment her mercilessly. They find out later how ill-advised a course of action that was.

I'll be checking them suitors out don't you worry :)

I imagine you will. But given your general philosophy of allowing K to discover for herself, do you intend to govern her access to potential suitors? Or will you simply advise her of things and hope for the best?

They still have convents, you know. :-)

No comments: