Thursday, February 22, 2007

Travelling Mullberries

I hope you had a good trip "back east" there boy!

+++

My superband:

Vocals: John Lennon
Rythmn Guitar: John Lennon
Lead Guitar: George Harrison
Bass: Paul McCartney
Drums: Ringo Starr
Keyboards: Billy Preston

Playing on the roof above Apple Studios Saville Row Jan 30th 1969 ... er, what's that NO BEATLES?? Ah ok then:

Vocals: Freddie Mercury

What can I say? Just listen to Queen and David Bowie's "Under Pressure". Bowie is no slouch on the vox and Freddy just blows him away. There are so many songs where his vocal power shines through, just think of Bohemian Rapsody, one of the best songs and best vocal performances ever recorded, or "A Kind of Magic" from the Highlander movie. There can be only one, and Freddie is it.

Rythmn Guitar: Noel Gallagher

For sure here I would have had Lennon, I mean just listen to the triplets on "All My Loving" and the infectious rock rhythm of "Some Other Guy" (from the BBC Radio Sessions). You just have to shake your body. Noel is a close second though, Noel is left handed but plays the guitar as a right handed person would (like Paul McCartney co-incidentally) - this gives more strength to his fretting fingers and "the hand he doesn't use most in life" does the strumming. The rythmn guitar on "Wonderwall" is delightful and not obvious. A close third would be David Bowie; Bowie can play almost anything and on rhythm is enormous as the majority of the "Hunky Dory" album proves.

Lead Guitar: Eric Clapton

There are a lot of candidates here but for me old slowhand just tips it. He's connected to some weird place when he gets into it. His sound is much much bigger than one man with a guitar. Second I would probably have Paul McCartney, he did the lead on quite a few tracks including the break on "Taxman" - which is amazing. Hendrix and Knopfler and Slash are in there too, with Eddie Van Halen.

Bass:
Mark King

Well as I can't have Macca I'll take Mark. He can slap a bass like no other white man can.

Drums: Phil Collins

As discussed.

Keyboards: Elton John

I'm glad you mentioned old Elton first, he would always be my #1 on the ivories, with Paul McCartney (again) second. He's still going - check the joanna on the recent Scissor Sisters track "Don't Feel Like Dancing", so infectious and all Elton.

No comments: